- Relationships based on lust, infatuation, and a what-can-you-do-for-me mindset.
- Lifestyles that love evil, rejoice in sexual perversion, and a don’t-judge-me-I’m-free-to-do-what-I-want attitude.
- Daily letting go of good and decent things in order to grasp and hold fast to temporary things.
- Continually holding grudges, unforgiveness, and treating others as objects instead of fellow humans.
- Always trying to outdo one another is getting recognition and climbing to the top of the heap.
What have I just attempted to describe? I’m sure a lot of things came to your mind!
I have just stated the opposite of Romans 12:9-10 (ESV) in which Paul, directed by the Holy Spirit, pens five brief commands that are to be obeyed in someone who is transformed (click Romans 12:1-2) Jesus Christ:
Let love be genuine.
Abhor what is evil;
Hold fast to what is good.
Love one another with brotherly affection.
Outdo one another in showing honor.
These actions do not happen naturally. They happen supernaturally. They can only be sustained in a living, breathing, walking, talking fellowship with Jesus Christ. Yes, Jesus Changes Lives! And that change … must happen everyday in an overflow of HIM living in and through us.
- Jesus is genuine in His love.
- Jesus abhors what is evil.
- Jesus holds fast to what is good.
- Jesus loves us as a brother.
- Jesus honors the lowliest.
Want a simple way to do all five of these at once?! Your assignment today, if you choose to accept it, is to ask at least one person today, “How can I help you?”
Our Father, flow through us today through your Son, Jesus. Overflow your love, your view of evil, your grip on good, your love for others, and your ability to honor those around us. Thank-you that you asked us, “How can I help you?” and in our inability to even answer that question, you answered it for us with Jesus! Thank-you!