I’m a bicyclist.
- How often do you ride? Well, I don’t actually ride.
- What’s your favorite kind of riding? I don’t know, I rode a bike once when I was a kid.
- Are you part of a group or club that rides together? I’ve seen them, but don’t like to be around them.
- What kind of bicycle do you have? Well, I don’t own one.
I’m a follower of Jesus.
- How often do you talk to Him? Well, I don’t actually pray.
- What’s your favorite way of serving Him? I don’t know, I used to go to church with grandma.
- What church are you involved in? I’ve seen a lot of church buildings, but I don’t like being around those people.
- What kind of follower of Jesus are you? Well, I don’t “follow” Him, but I’m going to heaven when I die!
I’m absolutely convinced salvation is by God’s grace through faith in His Son Jesus Christ alone. No amount of works, good deeds, church attendance, or study courses can save someone.
I’m also absolutely convinced salvation produces results, fruit, transformation, a changed life, a perseverance, and a growth in obedience to Christ.
For someone to say they are saved and secure based on walking an aisle decades ago, yet for all those decades there has been no fruit or evidence of a changed life motivated by loving Jesus, was there really a transformation back then?
Yes, I believe in the security of the believer in salvation, but being a believer will have evidence of being a believer!
I love this promise:
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else, No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one. John 10:28-30
I believe without a doubt that Presidents Obama, Bush, and Clinton exist and are holding or have held the office of President of the United States. But I don’t have a personal relationship with any one of them.
Many people say they believe in Jesus, but don’t have a personal relationship with Him as Lord, Master, Boss, Leader, Owner, or God. I fear many have an intellectual ascent to knowing Jesus, but do not know Him in a personal relationship that shapes their life.
So, yes, the believer is secure in Christ! But first, one must be born again spiritually. When a baby is born then a living, growing, breathing, feeding, and eventually walking are obvious.
Some will come before Jesus saying, “Lord, Lord, …” But Jesus will say to them, “Depart from me, I never knew you.” Matthew 7:21-23
Our Father, please bring those who think they know you, but don’t, to a life-changing relationship with You through Your Son Jesus Christ. Thank-you for the security you give us in our relationship with You in salvation!