What do you wonder about? … worry about? … and wish for? I asked that question a few months ago. The congregation of Balboa Baptist responded revealing these topics:
- Personal issues of aging, health, finances, and work. (4 responses)
- Unity of the church under God’s leadership. (7 responses)
- End times, our future, and heaven. (14 responses)
- Condition of our nation and world in light of current events. (34 responses)
- Concern for family members’ relationship with God. (35 responses)
- And #1, desire for a deeper walk with God, finding His will, and obeying Him. (41 responses)
As Jesus hung on the cross dying for us, Scripture records seven statements. The seven last words of Jesus before His death and resurrection addressed similar topics: Forgiveness, Heaven, Family, Loneliness, Physical Needs, Salvation, and Death.
It’s hard not to notice the similarities between our felt needs today and what Jesus said on the cross.
God perfectly understands what we wonder about, worry about, and wish for. We believe with all confidence:
“For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.” Hebrews 4:15 ESV
This Sunday at 9:00 a.m., one week before Easter, I will address these seven last statements of Jesus.
A three sermon series addressing the Wonder, Worry, & Wish question begins on Easter Sunday:
- April 5: “Can I Really Know God?”
- April 12: “Does God Really Care about Us?”
- April 19: “What Difference Does God Make in Our World?”