Bird Nests

Nine out of ten things we worry about never happen. Dr. Walter Calvert’s study revealed that only 8% of what we worry about is legitimate. The other 92% are imagined, never happens, or are completely out of reach.

I might prove how illogical worry is, but we still worry. Telling ourselves not to worry does not stop us!

Someone said, “Worry is wasting today’s time to clutter up tomorrow’s opportunities with yesterday’s trouble.” Worry is an anxious uneasiness as we go to the same issue over and over getting nowhere. This useless effort drains us, produces no benefits, and makes us more miserable.

It’s not logical, it’s spiritual. It’s an issue of our relationship with God, specifically prayer. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God” Philippians 4:6.

The urge to worry is the spiritual signal to start praying. “Let your requests be made known to God.” Of course God already knows. But pride leads us to try to handle it ourselves. Prayer is humbling ourselves to seek Him.

First, the root word for “prayer” carries the idea of making an exchange. Prayer is exchanging what you can’t do for what God can do. It is exchanging requests, making our requests to God and listening to God’s requests for obedience.

Second, “supplication” means to make our requests expressing a profound sense of our need. It is not saying that we need a little help, but a lot of help with a sense of absolute bankruptcy.

Third, make our requests excited with gratitude for how God has already blessed. Remember the song, “Count your many blessings, name them one by one?” Thank Him for specific ways God excelled at meeting your needs.

How often should we pray? How often do we worry? Worry is something we do no matter what else is going on around us. Prayer needs to be just as continual.

Wow, we have to change the way we think to do that! That’s a monumental task. Remember this, thoughts are like birds, you can’t control which ones fly over your head, but you can control which ones build a nest in your hair. Let prayer build the nest, not worry.

“And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7

Want to know more? This Sunday at 9am, I will continue the series, “How to In-Joy Life: Simple, but Difficult Steps.” Find us at BalboaBaptist.Church. Our mission is to bring all people to the saving grace of Jesus Christ and help them grow toward Christian maturity through love, prayer, worship, teaching, and service.

Published by

Pastor Denny

Pastor, Husband, Father, PawPa

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.